Monday, November 30, 2015

Peak mileage

I've reached my peak mileage for this training cycle!!

Sept. 1, right after Hood to Coast, I started specific training for my next goal half marathon. So for 13 weeks, I've diligently done speed sessions and tempo runs on the treadmill and long runs and short runs on the streets and trails. I've logged almost 300 miles in that time, with every workout serving a purpose.

Saturday was my last double-digit run for this plan. I've been a little ahead on my weekend miles, so while my original plan called for 12 miles, I'd already hit that and didn't feel the need to do it again.
After Thanksgiving, the Turkey Trot, Black Friday shopping and all that, I wasn't looking forward to getting out. It was cold and windy, and I was tired. I put it off all day and finally decided I better get it done before I lost daylight.

I planned to just run 10-12, depending on how I felt. I knew Brad was running 14.

Well, it was a beautiful day, and I hit my groove. I kept it nice and easy, and the miles just flew by. I was on a true runner's high, and I just kept plugging along. I was having such a great time that I decided to run 14 - but then I had to beat Brad and round it off to 15!

My later miles were a bit slower, as my body fatigued and my heart rate climbed. But I was strong and happy the whole time. It was a truly outstanding run.

I don't know if I'll hit my goal at the Holiday Half in two weeks. But I've nailed my training and prepared the best I can. I'm so pleased with my effort and feel great about where I am. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment