Wednesday, April 1, 2015

No. 14 & 15

No. 14 was a suggestion from my friend, Jennifer.

Christine Trent's Stolen Remains is the story of a female undertaker in 1869 London. She is summoned by the queen to help solve a murder.
While it is a murder mystery, the historical setting is unusual for me. I enjoyed learning about the industry and how death was treated in those days. And the mystery had me guessing most of the way. So overall, a good read!

No. 15 was a memoir by Haruki Murakami, a famous Japanese novelist.
Murakami is also a life-long runner, so this book is an interesting discussion of running and writing - and how the two are connected in his life. I found him inspiring but also a bit depressing because he speaks about being an aging runner. I don't think any of us want to admit that our physical prowess is (or soon will be) declining. It's nice to read honest thought from a dedicated, though "average-ish" runner.

Definitely an interesting read!

I think my friend, Melanie, would like to read this one :)

No comments:

Post a Comment