Thursday, April 9, 2015

I can't believe it's been a whole year!

Nearly one year ago, I took a chance that kinda changed my life.
A graduating senior offered a donation-based kickboxing class to THS staff, hoping to raise money for an educational trip to Italy. I fumbled my way through the first class... well, the first many classes. I'm not very coordinated. But the workout was terrific, the comradery was fun, instructor Brittany was very supportive, and I got hooked.

But Brittany soon graduated, and the class ended.

Fierce Fitness, her parents' gym in Multnomah Village, offers free trail classes, and I eventually worked up the nerve to try it out - thanks to Lindsey for going with my chicken-poop self! We both fell in love and signed up for memberships.
I try to go at least once per week, in addition to all the running, hiking, biking and other fun stuff I do. I've also done a couple technique classes to improve my skill. Brad joins me when not neck-deep in marathon training :) When schedules allow, Lindsey and I turn it into a mini date night with dinner after class.
Sometimes my motivation wanes... I'm tired, it's yucky outside, I'm having a bad day, I don't want to drive across town to get there. But there's honestly only been one time when I put on my gloves and my bad day didn't disappear. Sometimes exhaustion can't be overcome, no matter how many endorphins you throw at it.
I was driving home from class last night, high from a great workout, and I just couldn't stop smiling. Kickboxing with Brittany and Candice (her mom, the other instructor I usually work with) is so empowering. It makes my body and mind feel so good. Brittany and Candice take me to the point where I don't think I can do any more... and then I do. Their encouragement is so motivational and seems so genuine. I believe they truly want us to do our best and be as in love with kickboxing as they are.
I often struggle with sadness around my tummy condition. No matter now strong I am, no matter how many miles I can run, no matter what I eat, I can't control this thing. I feel yucky much of the time. My clothes don't fit. It's embarrassing. It's uncomfortable. But kickboxing makes me feel confident and strong, despite this strange condition. Yesterday was a "bad tummy day" - but I came out of class knowing that I was strong, even though my body was rebelling.
I love running and hiking and biking and being outside. But I also love kickboxing. The sweat, the sucking wind, the temporary pain, the friendships, the endorphins, the satisfaction.
 
I'm not good at trying new things - stepping out of my comfort zone. But I'm so happy that I gave this a go. Thanks to everyone who's supported me along the way :)

No comments:

Post a Comment