Monday, July 7, 2014

Running HOT

Man, I'm trying to have a good attitude about all this summer heat, but it's really hard when I'm trying to run and it's nearing a million degrees outside! ;)

I got up early Sunday to get in my long run before church. I planned to hit the pavement at 7 a.m. and that proved to be too late.

Brad also went out, and instead of doing his planned three 3-mile intervals, he ended up doing three 1 miles. I found this self portrait on my camera when I got home:
The heat wasn't the only problem - between my two bike rides and time on my indoor bike, I probably rode 50 miles this week. Tired legs.

I started at a moderate pace and slowed from there. (Reminds me of the EPIC van that read: Start slow and taper off) By the end, I felt like I was barely moving... shuffling down the street.
In the shade on my porch, it was 75* when I finished. Ugh.

But I'm really proud of my determination. I buckled down and get it done, keeping a good attitude the whole time. I often struggle with negative self talk when I have a bad run, and I didn't have that this time at all! I finished my 12 miles in 2:07 - a 10:37 average, including a couple walk breaks.
My Achilles tendon, which I injured in February, was really bothering me throughout the run and after. I'm thinking I may walk my upcoming half with Mom instead of trying to run it. I really want to kick this tendonitis and plan to cut back on my mileage over the coming weeks. We'll see what happens.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment