Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Disneyland with the band

It seems like ancient history now, but a week and a half ago I was having a blast at Disneyland with my family and about 150 of my closest teenage friends!

Brad, Dad and I flew down on an earlier flight to save a couple bucks and help with some before-the-band-arrives logistics.
This sign makes me smile every time:
We flew down Thursday morning and were in the park by the early evening. Yes, we were wearing matching Mickey Mouse sweatshirts. We are cool like that.
Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy.
We saw Mickey Mouse right off the bat! I danced around, shouted and waved to get into the Disney spirit. (While Brad tried to pretend he didn't know me :) )
First ride: Space Mountain with Eryn and Dad.
First thing Friday morning: a very short run on the treadmill.
I've been dealing with minor injury and hadn't run in almost two weeks. I did just 1 very slow mile and had a smile on my face the whole time. Felt so good!
Then I hopped on the bike for a much longer workout while I watched trashy cable TV.
 
Back in the park... playing on the kiddie rides:
 
Time to watch the Tigard High School Jazz Band perform at California Adventure:
They sounded terrific!

Silliness:
The couple who workouts out together...
Nighttime drive on Autopia:
The whole Tigard High School Wind Ensemble also performed at California Adventure and kicked butt!
The band usually travels with the Tigerette dance team, which competes at Nationals next door at Anaheim Convention Center. 

This year, they competed in three events and took second place in two of those events!!! WOOHOO! THEN... they took FIRST PLACE in pom! NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

We learned they were performing again that night in exhibition, so we went over to watch. What a cultural experience!
Ever seen the movie Bring It On or any other cheerleader-type movie? This was EXACTLY like that. SO crazy. Lots of screaming, hairspray and makeup. :)

Here come the Tigerettes!
 
And the championship routine: (Click HERE to watch it!)
So proud of these girls and their coaches!

We had a ton of fun, but my camera stayed in my bag most of the trip. Too busy soaking it all in.

But, of course, I had to take pictures of our students marching in the afternoon parade through Disneyland! I remember doing it when I was in high school, and it's SO very cool!
The National Champion Tigerettes!
A great time was had by all! And I can't wait for the next trip in 2016 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment