Sunday, January 19, 2014

Meg's Miles

Yesterday's long run was for Meg.
Nearly 100,000 people have pledged on Facebook to dedicate their weekend miles to Meg, who lost her life this week to a drunk driver. She left behind a husband and three young children.

When I read her story earlier this week, I knew I would join the movement. EVERY runner, walker, cyclist is in danger every time we lace up and leave the house. That's why I've also joined Runners Against Distracted & Drunk Drivers - to raise awareness among athletes and drivers.
So while I ran 10 miles through Tigard, King City and Tualatin, my thoughts were on Meg - and others who've lost their lives. I'm always very aware, but I was extra careful, making eye contact and waving at passing drivers, checking over my shoulder at each intersection, music down low.
My run started cold and foggy, but a couple miles in, the clouds broke and I finished under clear, blue skies. An absolutely gorgeous day to be out.

Meg, those miles were for you. May you run in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment