Monday, March 25, 2013

Family comes first

Growing up, I was taught that family comes first. So when crisis hit this week, we all dropped everything and pitched in to help. Because that's what we do!
Grandpa in 2010 at his 90th birthday party
Very short version: Grandpa (Dad's dad) fell overnight last weekend, hit his head and nearly bled to death before eventually getting help. The decision was made by "the family" that it was time for Grandpa to move from his independent-living arrangement at Friendsview to an apartment inside the main building where more help is available.

It was a crazy, stressful, exhausting week getting Grandpa healthy, making decisions, convincing a nearly 93-year-old man to change his mind, sitting in on important meetings, moving furniture, loading the trailer, sorting the garage, boxing up the kitchen, caring for the cat, etc., etc., etc.

I spent several part days and just one full day at work last week, thankful for lots of sick time and very understanding and supportive coworkers.

Most days, I left the house first thing in the morning and returned home far past my bedtime. There was little sleep, messed-up eating and a completely neglected house.

Fortunately, the main crisis has passed and the rest of Dad's family is arriving later this week to help get the house sorted and moved. We have two weeks.

Because it's now my spring break, I finally tackled today the laundry, dishes and other nasty parts of my house that were put on the back burner for a week.

I am so thankful that I was taught what is really important in life! My family is an amazing team that really pulls together when it counts! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment