Tuesday, July 17, 2012

I'm an international racer!

You know I love a race, and when I learned that we'd be in Toronto over the weekend, I figured I'd see if there were any nearby events. And then I convinced the fam that we should all do it together!

So we got up early Sunday and drove to Sunnybrook Park for Dawn at the Don, an 8K run for me and Eryn and a 5K walk for Mom and Dad.
Fortunately, it was overcast, but that also meant that it was about 300% humidity. Not quite, but close.

Because of our Niagara Falls adventure Saturday (lots and lots of walking in the high heat and humidity) and staying up way too late, our race prep was far from ideal. But we went out just to have fun - no pressure. AND because I've never run an 8K race before, I knew any time would be a PR ;)
The weather was brutal. I walked through all three water stations and dumped some down my back after getting a drink. I couldn't maintain my pace for the last mile or so and slowed a lot. I did have some kick left, sprinted across the finish and ended up at a 10:00 pace.

4.85 miles in 48:32. I wish I could have maintained, but considering everything, I'm happy enough with this PR :)
Plus, I'm now an international racer!!
The race was well organized and supported. It was well marked through the park, and the announcer read our names as we crossed the finish line - very fun! There was adequate water and fruit after for refueling. It was small but not too small, and everyone was very friendly.

After announcing the winners in each category, the guy with the mic said they'd hand out some door prizes. And instead of having a drawing or something, he just started picking out people from the crowd. He gave me a $25 gift card for the sponsoring running store. And then he gave another one to Dad!

SCORE!
After a quick clean up at the hotel in the suburb of Mississauga, it was back to Toronto for a Blue Jays game at Roger Centre:
A little Canadian jazz:
The CN Tower next door:
For the past several weeks, I've been on a really restrictive diet in response to a food sensitivity test. On this trip, I've been eating lots of PBJ and salads. I asked at the nacho stand if I could see the ingredients on the cheese sauce. It looked safe, so I asked if I could buy a cup to dip my pretzels (chips are out). The guy was SUPER SUPER nice and GAVE me a cup of cheese... I was expecting a little condiment cup, but he half filled a drink cup!
Man, was that ever good! Hot and spicy cheese sauce :)

Our seats were one row from the top but provided a great view:
The top was closed because of a rain forecast, and it was SOOOOOO hot and humid inside - and there was almost no air movement. Of all the stadiums we've visited, this was by far the worst. We all decided that we don't need to return.
That rain arrived as we were leaving the stadium. And this isn't Oregon drizzle. This was East-Coast downpour, flash flooding.

Everyone was huddled under the eves, but we love the rain (and were really enjoying the brief moment of cooler weather!), so we decided to just go for it. We stomped through ankle-deep puddles and got drenched walking the couple blocks to our car. It was really fun :)

Of course, it stopped just as we arrived at the parking lot. (that "puddle" behind Eryn is actually several inches deep and rushing toward the street.)
We made our way through town to find a Runner's Room store to spend our free money. Dad bought a SPI belt and I bought a clearance jacket. FUN!

Up next: Detroit :)

No comments:

Post a Comment