Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Another destination race!


So why not fly home to Portland? Why a stop in Seattle? Because we had another race to run!

Since spring, I'd had my eye on the Refuse to Abuse 5K - inside Safeco Field! I ran part of my Disneyland Half Marathon in Angel's Stadium, and in September I'll run in ATT Park, home of the SF Giants. I was excited to run in another MLB park.

We planned the end of our trip to coincide with the race.

After a short night in Tukwila, Wash., we boarded a bus for Seattle:
Friends Larry and Leslie, who now live in Seattle, met us there. It was their first 5K race!
So thankful for the cool, cloudy morning!
The Mariner Moose made an appearance:
The start line, next to the parking garage: 
The course went around the outside of the stadium before heading in. We ran through several levels, including the exclusive boxes! Then we ran a bit up and down the parking garage before returning to the stadium.

Then we went underneath - very exclusive access!

I brought my new camera so I could snap pics as I raced! Lovely :)
Then we turned and ran right onto the warning track. Sweet!
I paused for a quick pic in left field:
All done... sucking wind:
Then we exited the field through the bull pen - right through the door where the pitchers enter!
It was the inaugural race - so medals for everyone: 
I decided to run well but easy enough to take it all in - including stopping for a picture on the field. Still, I finished in 27:38 - 27:39 chip time, an 8:56 average. (official results) Felt great - especially after last week's 8K sauna fail :)
I grabbed my goodies and waited for the others. Here comes Eryn:
There's Dad:
Larry:
Leslie:
Mom:
Mom is coming back from an injury and was thrilled to complete the walk in 50 minutes!
The race was capped at just 1,000 runners, and they had a wave start. So the course was wide open the whole time. I had a blast and can't wait for next year!!

We returned to the hotel for quick showers and then hopped on Amtrak. Cards and more blogging:
Finally, home at last :)
Thanks, Mom and Dad, for taking us on a fun family vacation!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment