Monday, May 28, 2012

Mixing it up: elliptical, running, hiking, stadiums

With my half marathon out of the way, I'm excited to expand my workout repertoire and mix in some other activities.

The weekend started with a quick elliptical workout after work Friday.

Then Mom, Eryn and I drove to the coast, where Dad already had our Fort Stevens campsite ready. (Brad spent the holiday weekend climbing in Northern California)

Saturday, Eryn and I went for a run while Mom and Dad walked. We ran to the ocean and then made a loop on the trails and through the campground. It was dry and mild - perfect running weather.
 I did 4.25 miles in 38:07 - the first 5K fast and then a slower finish.
We didn't plan to wear the same shirt :)
Sunday, the fam tried out the Fort to Sea Trail, which starts at Fort Clatsop and ends at Sunset Beach near Camp Rilea.

It was about 6.3 miles in all, with thick woods, streams, wetlands, rivers, overlooks, bridges and cow pastures. A fun, easy hike.

The Clatsop Ridge Overlook:
 The beach overlook:
We left one car at each trailhead and shuttled between the two. Mom, who's nursing a foot injury, declined to walk the final .3 miles to the beach. Instead, she drove her truck on the beach :)
The temp was mild, and it sprinkled just a couple times during our hike. But it was really windy on the beach, and Eryn tried unsuccessfully to fly:
 Mom loves her truck :)
 We picked up the other car and then celebrated our workout with cones at Dairy Maid in Warrenton:
 
 I had an x-small chocolate cone with chocolate dip:
 Yummy treat!
I returned home Sunday night and spent my Memorial Day reading and then getting the house in order. Lots and lots of laundry and dishes.

But I had to get sweaty, so I ran to THS and did stairs.
I ran  2.31 quick miles and 30 minutes on the stadium.

I think tomorrow's a rest day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment