Thursday, February 9, 2012

Tempo Thursday: solid 5K

Track season is upon us, so Thursdays are now Tempo Thursdays. Instead of doing intervals on the rubber oval, I'm doing quick-tempo runs around town.

I decided today to do 3 miles near a 9-minute-mile average.

The rain subsided and the sun even poked out. I had my jacket off around the 1-mile mark.
Mile 1 = 9:01
Mile 2 = 8:56
Mile 3 = 8:57

That averaged to 8:58. Right on target.

I finished 3.17 miles in 28:24 - a 5K PR for me... yippee!!!!

I was working and had to stay focused to keep up my pace (I also had to focus to keep it that slow - it's a delicate balance when you're pushing). But I was never working super hard. Had I been racing, I definitely had a push left in me to lay it down and sprint to the finish.

I have a 10K race next weekend on a pancake-flat course downtown Portland. I'm excited to see how I do. Hoping the weather cooperates.

To celebrate today's solid tempo run, I'm refueling with chocolate milk, nuked to steamy perfection.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment