Friday, December 2, 2011

Track Thursday: frosty start

Early Thursday, long before my thoughts turned to my weekly track workout, I hopped on my bike for my short commute to THS. Everything was beautiful, covered in white frost.

This photo doesn't do it justice, but the sunrise was gorgeous!
Frosty beauty:
Thin sheets of ice filled the puddles:
Thankfully, the sun came out and it warmed significantly before I changed into workout clothes (capris this time!) and walked the 50 yards from my classroom to the track.
Other than Robert practicing soccer goal kicks on the infield, I had the whole place to myself.
I stuck with the same plan I've been using from No Meat Athlete's "3 Track Workouts Guaranteed to Kick Your A$$": 3 x 1 mile with 200 m rest intervals

I sped it up again, this time aiming for an 8:35 average for each mile. (Last time I aimed for 8:40)

In an attempt to keep my entire mile consistent (instead of just speeding up/slowing down at the end to meet my goal), I decided to track my pace on each lap instead of just every four laps.

Mile 1 splits:
8:37
8:30
8:35
8:30

Mile 2 splits:
8:29
8:32
8:27
8:29

Mile 3 splits:
8:23
8:32
8:33
8:21

Including my warmup, cool down and half-lap recovery between each mile, I completed 3.94 miles in 37:06 - a 9:26 average overall.
I'm happy with my splits - I kept it close to my goal pace and sped up at the end. And I think it shows that I can go faster!

It wasn't easy, but it also didn't kill me. I was ready to stop by the end -- but I didn't empty the tank.
Maybe I'll try for 8:25 next week and see what happens???

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment