Thursday, October 20, 2011

Track Thursday: foot fail

Last week's track workout was hard but felt so good - so I decided to do it again!
Today's random plan from No Meat Athlete's "3 Track Workouts Guaranteed to Kick Your A$$":
3 x 1 mile with 400 m rest intervals
Pace: Determine 5K mile-pace and subtract 10 seconds.

Just in case you aren't getting the notation, consider my example: My 5K pace is about a 6:12 mile, so I'm looking at 6:02 for this workout. After a warmup, I run one mile at 6:02, then jog slowly around the track one time, then repeat the whole thing two more times, for a total of three repeats. Too easy, tough guy? Try resting for only one minute instead of one lap.

OK - my 5K PR is 9:01 (a lot slower than that guy!). So I planned for an 8:51 pace:
The weather was great - cloudy and cool. I started with a warmup lap and then did 1 mile at 8:50. Piece of cake! In fact, I held back a bit to make sure I could last the whole 3 miles.

I walked a lap and then started on my second interval.

Then my body failed me.

Monday afternoon, my right ankle started hurting - like it needed to pop. I figured it would work itself out... but it hasn't. Actually, it hurts really bad.

Running didn't feel great but didn't really feel worse. THEN a stabbing pain started. It didn't go away, so I decided to call it a day. I could handled the pain but am really scared to injure it further :(
I managed just 1.74 miles in 17:30. I really wish I could have completed my workout, but I don't want to end up sidelined.
I'm icing right now and already had a chiropractor appointment set for tomorrow. I plan to ask him to pop it. I'm really, really, really hoping that's all it is.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment