Thursday, October 13, 2011

Muffin Wednesday: Blueberry-Orange

I had to cover for Eryn in the library yesterday, so Muffin Wednesday became Muffin Thursday this week!

For today's selection we have Blueberry-Orange Muffins from the book:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare muffin tin.

Muffins:
1 3/4 c flour
1/2 c sugar
1 t orange zest
1 T baking powder
1 c fresh or frozen blueberries (I used frozen)
1 c milk
1/2 c melted butter
1 egg
1/2 t salt

Topping:
2 T melted butter
1/4 c orange juice
1/4 sugar (I ended up needing more)

1. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, orange zest and baking powder. Add blueberries and toss to combine.

2. In another bowl, whisk together the milk, butter, egg and salt. Add to the flour mixture, stirring just until all the ingredients are moistened.

3. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin, dividing evenly. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown (mine went about 20 minutes)

4. In a small bowl, combine the 2 T butter and orange juice. Pour sugar into another bowl. When muffins are done, dip tops in butter mixture and then in sugar.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I doubled this recipe and made 30 muffins. They didn't want to brown up, so I left them in for about 20 minutes.

The students and staff liked them a lot, but I'm not convinced. I think the dipped top tastes really good but the muffins themselves aren't great. So I'm not sure....

But Andy thought they were "super moist and sugary" and Roy said they were "awesome" and much better than the cupcakes he brought me yesterday. I think his cupcakes were better :)

Funny how we all have different tastes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment