Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Muffin Wednesday: Honey Bran

Not only is No-TV Tuesday back, so is MUFFIN WEDNESDAY!!!

A couple years ago, mom-in-law Donna gave me this book for Christmas. I thought it was a challenge, so I've been trying new muffin recipes on my students ever since.
Today's experiment was Honey Bran Muffins.

1 1/4 c flour
3/4 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt (I thought they were too salty - maybe just add 1/4 t)
1 1/2 c bran flakes, crushed
1 1/4 c buttermilk
1/4 c oil
1/4 c honey
1 egg
1/2 c raisins (I left these out 'cuz I don't like raisins in my baked goods)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 12-cup muffin tin.

1. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and bran flakes.

2. In a smaller bowl, combine buttermilk, oil, honey and egg. Whisk well.

3. Pour wet into dry and stir just until moist and blended.

4. Spoon batter into muffin tin and bake for 15 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
These were good but not amazing. The CE2 testers were split - some liked them and some didn't. But no one thought they were horrible - just not super good. A little bland. Maybe the raisins would have helped.

Still, no one turned down the free food ;)

Karleen and I thought they were way too salty. I would probably cut the salt in half. Also, the batter was very runny. I double checked everything and I didn't screw anything up (this time), so I'm not sure what that's all about.

I'd probably skip this one for the future.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment