Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Reframing

I was sulking pretty bad after my Sunday training run.

While down at the coast, we set out to do 11 miles at Bay Ocean - my last long run before my half marathon next month. But, as seems to be the norm for me lately, I started crashing after about 6 miles. I struggled to get back to the car and only managed 10 miles. Very slow miles.

I was really upset. I've worked SO hard since February to get ready for this race. I've followed the training program. I've tweaked nutrition and hydration. I just don't know what's wrong.

Then Brad reminded me that I'd just run 10 miles! (on a trail, no less - that's much harder!)
That's right... I ran 10 miles! I decided I needed to reframe my thinking and focus on the positive. Ten miles is pretty awesome :)

All that being said, I still need to figure out what to do to keep my momentum going. We talked it through and realized my problems seem to happen around 6 miles - about an hour in. That's when my natural fuel stores are exhausted.

BUT, I've been religiously eating some gel every 20 minutes to combat that problem. So why isn't that working?? My digestion system is really screwy - maybe it's taking too long to process the calories and such.

Any runners out there who have good ideas??

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment