Sunday, July 24, 2011

Lentil Cookies

I have a freezer full of lentil puree, thanks to experimental Apple Cinnamon Lentil treats from a March Muffin Wednesday. (They were great, by the way!) Wanting to use it up, I went searching for more recipes calling for the green/brown goop.

I found "To Die For Lentil Cookies" and figured it was worth a try.

1 t baking powder

1 t salt

1 1/2 t cinnamon (I went light on this 'cuz I don't like cinnamon)
1 c sugar - brown for chewy, white for more crispy (I went with a combo: mostly brown and a little white)

3/4 c apple sauce

2 T ground flax

2 t vanilla
1 1/2 c lentil puree
1 c rolled oats
1 c dried fruit

1 c dried coconut (I used up my leftover coconut and topped it off with chopped walnuts)
2 c wheat pastry flour


Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in medium bowl.

In separate bowl mix the apple sauce and sugar. Add the flax and combine. Add the vanilla and lentil puree and mix to combine.


Add in the flour mixture in thirds and combine. Stir in the oats, fruit and coconut.


Drop in 1 inch balls and bake for 15-17 minutes at 375 degrees.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~


These didn't spread at all, so for the second batch I pressed the dough balls a bit for more of a cookie shape instead of a ball shape. Then I got tired of making balls and made the rest of the dough into a giant bar - then I baked it a bit longer.


Though I don't think they are "to die for," each version was good. Not great, but good. I froze a bunch for later.


*** Any tried-and-true recipe using lentil puree???


:)

No comments:

Post a Comment