Saturday, July 23, 2011

Fresh cherry pie

I'm cleaning out the freezer so I can load it full of new berries and jams. I came across a huge bag of cherries and decided they must be made into a pie for my pie-loving honey.

I settled on Fresh Cherry Pie from my 1965 pie book.
I started with a Cheater Crust from Ma's friend, Nancy:

2 1/2 c flour
3/4 c canola oil
1 t salt
1/4 c + 1 T water

Combine all ingredients with a fork and use your hands to make a ball. Divide in half to make two crusts and place one ball between sheets of wax paper. Roll out to fit pan and then, while it's still in the paper, move it to the pan. Peel off the paper and fit to the pan. Add filling and repeat process with top crust.

Fresh Cherry Pie:

1 1/3 c sugar
1/3 c flour
1/8 t salt
4 c pitted cherries
2 T butter

Combine the sugar, flour and salt. Add cherries and toss to coat. Turn into a pastry-lined 9" pie pan. Add top crust.

Bake at 425 degrees for about 40 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I don't like pie, but Brad said it was super yummy. He ate a bunch, then the rest went into the freezer for lunches.

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment