Saturday, July 9, 2011

A bonk, a walk and a finish

Ugh!

We set out this morning to run 11 miles. Neither of us wanted to get up super early, and it wasn't supposed to be super hot today -- but we really should have bit the bullet and skipped the sleeping in and lazy breakfast!
It was already hot and very sunny when we hit the Springwater Corridor in Southeast Portland. We enjoyed our recent 9 miler on the downtown loop/Springwater Corridor, so we decided to try again, this time starting with 4.25 miles out on the corridor, 4.25 miles back and then finishing up with the Waterfront Park/Eastbank Esplanade loop.

My legs (my whole body, really) are VERY tired from the two mountains we climbed last week. I figured I would be dragging, but I didn't know I would completely bonk.
Our training called for running 20 minutes and walking 1 minute until we reached 11 miles. My first two intervals felt pretty good, 10:29- and 10:25-minute miles. Then I started to drag. We turned around into a headwind (which Brad finds invigorating!!), and my legs started seizing, my chest tightening. Interval 4 - 10:45. Interval 5 - 11:59.

I was done. I literally almost passed out when I stopped for my walk break, which turned into a lay-down-in-the-middle-of-the-path break.

I couldn't go any farther, so Brad ran ahead to finish his workout and I took the keys and walked to the car. After resting for a while and drinking water and part of my post-workout chocolate milk, I decided that since I'd already done 8 miles, and the downtown loop was just about 3 miles, I should give it a try. I would go slow and walk when I needed to.

I ran most of the loop, taking just a couple short walks. And I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!
It was slow and ugly, but I RAN 11 MILES!!!

I did 11 miles in 2:05:33 - an 11:31 average (not counting my break in the middle). Seriously, that's not that bad. I'm very proud of myself for sticking with it and finishing what I started!
I really need to work on my mid-run fueling. My Garmin estimated that I burned 1,159 calories - I must figure out how to take in more fuel! I think I have a better plan for next time - hopefully no more bonking for me.

That's what training's all about - prepping the muscles and the mind and working out all those details.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment