Thursday, June 2, 2011

Running debate

As I so often do, I spent the afternoon sitting in my classroom having an internal debate about whether I should go running after work.

My gear was all in the other room ready to go, and my plan was to run right after work at 3 p.m. and then take a quick shower before my 4:30 p.m. union meeting at another school. Easy.

But it was cold and rainy, and I was tired and sleepy. So I went back and forth, back and forth in my head. I sometimes think I'm a little nuts because I have these arguments in my head so often!

I finally decided that if it was dry after work, I would go. It was, so I did.
In fact, the sun emerged just as I stepped outside, and I quickly ditched my rain jacket and rolled up my sleeves.

My prescription for the day was run 20 minutes, walk 1 minute, run 20 minutes. My legs were tired from an intense spin class yesterday (it was the last class of the school year, and she worked us hard!) and my knee hurt a bit, but I fought through and did 4.1 miles in 41:11 minutes - a 10:02 average.
Negative splits: first interval 10:04, second interval 9:47. I've really been working on negative splits - keeping my first intervals slower so I have something left at the end of my workout.

Covered in sweat, I hurried home for a quick shower. Then I hauled it to Twality Middle School with my chocolate milk recovery treat and ice pack in hand. I sipped and iced my knee during the meeting -perfect!

As (almost) always, I was happy that I didn't skip or postpone my workout. I'm glad I won that debate with myself :)

No comments:

Post a Comment