Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Muffin Wednesday: Fudgey Nut

For this week's Muffin Wednesday: Fudgey Nut Muffins from "the book."
Hmm. This one's a mystery.

I think the recipe is actually misprinted. But the students still LOVED them.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease or line your muffin tin.

1 c flour
1 1/3 sugar
1 1/4 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/4 t baking soda
1 c milk (I had soy)
3 T butter or margarine, melted
1 egg
1/2 t vanilla
3 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
6 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 c walnuts

1. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda.

2. Make a well in the center and add milk, butter, egg, vanilla and melted chocolate. Stir just until moist and blended. Fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts.

3. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin, filling cups 3/4 full. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~
As always, I doubled this recipe. I used soy milk and margarine.

The first thing I noticed was that there was more sugar than flour. And as much milk as flour.

And it didn't say to combine the wet ingredients before adding them to a well in the dry ingredients. (I try to follow the directions on a new recipe, assuming there's a good reason for each (strange) instruction) When I tried to "stir just until moist and blended," it didn't come together at all. I ended up using a whisk, and it was very runny - more so than even a cake batter.
I got nervous and rechecked the recipe, thinking that I had screwed it up (I do that. frequently.) But I hadn't! Hmm.

They didn't rise at all:
And despite spraying the cups, they stuck horribly (this is even after loosening with a knife):
They were ugly but smelled "dank," according to Peter (that's a good thing).
They tasted good - sweet, dark and rich. The students went nuts over them, hovering over me for seconds.

Iggy ate five, though he thought he might barf a little after ;) Chris said they rivaled the amazing chocolate chip cookies that I had made Monday.

So there you have it.

They are really ugly, but tasty. If you have a teenager to impress, go for it. If you want to analyze the recipe and see what went wrong, go for it (and let me know what you decide!). But if you're looking for something beautiful to take to a tea party, skip this one.

:)

PS - I ate so much chocolate that I might barf a little, too. Urp ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment