Monday, May 2, 2011

Celebration?

Hmmm... I've been trying to decide if and what to say since I saw the breaking news last night that U.S. troops had killed Osama bin Laden.

I turned on the TV, saw the "special report" graphics and the national news anchor on the set and knew something big was up. My news blood kicked in, and I got excited for the breaking news. (I know... it's a sickness).

Then I heard that Osama bin Laden was dead, and my heart rate accelerated. That's huge news. I immediately ran to tell Brad (who was in the shower) and called Mom, Dad and Eryn to make sure they'd heard.

When the news settled into my brain, I started feeling a bit strange. Sad, perhaps. Then I saw the people celebrating in NYC, chanting, "U-S-A! U-S-A!" Then I was sort of embarrassed - certainly not proud.

While I can admit that the world is probably a better place without Osama bin Laden, I am truly grieved by the celebration. I cannot and will not take joy in the killing of another person - for any reason.

Several friends have posted this on Facebook, and I agree wholeheartedly:


"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." -Martin Luther King, Jr.


(Update: There's been debate on the origin of this quote. I personally don't care who said it - it still speaks my mind.)

I have been taught my whole life that my God loves all his children - even the ones who have fallen away. No one is outside God's reach and love. No one.

I will not rejoice in the taking of a human life. I hope you will thoughtfully and prayerfully consider your response.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you. I have felt that I am among the few that cannot celebrate at the killing of anyone, especially in a situation like this, and I appreciate your sharing this view on your blog. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete