Saturday, April 9, 2011

Tilikum 10K PR!!

Today was finally the day I've been working toward: the Tilikum 10K!

In the past two months I've really upped my running, doubling my standard distance from 5K to 10K. It's all part of my plan to run the Disneyland Half-Marathon in September.

Today's was my 20th race since I started running in summer 2006. I did one 10K (the Tilikum 10K!) way back then in 66 minutes. Since I'm much stronger and more prepared now, I knew I could PR today - and I hoped to come in under 60.

The plan was to start near 10:00-minute miles and gradually speed up - and then sprint to the finish. And that's exactly what I did! I felt very comfortable the whole time, but I was hesitant to speed up too much and possibly run out of steam before the end. So I think I was a little on the conservative side. I could have pushed a little harder.

I finished in 58:24 - under 60 minutes! BUT... the course was short by .15 miles.

**SIDE NOTE: I love this event and that it raises money for kids to go to camp. And I know that it's just a little fun run. BUT... every year something is wrong with the course. Every year. Sometimes it's long. Sometimes it's short. Seriously - just send someone out with a GPS and measure it - please :)

Anyway... I calculated it out, and if I had run the entire 6.2 miles, I would have finished in
59:50 minutes - STILL UNDER 60!!!!!! WOOHOO :) :) :)

I am thrilled with my race - all those nerves for nothing.

Mom and Dad walked the 5K:

Brad and Tyler enjoyed the hot chocolate at the finish line:

Sarah enjoyed the mini cupcakes (actually, we ALL did!):

Tyler took third place in the Men's 10K:


And, no surprise because she ALWAYS wins (seriously!), Sarah took second in the Women's 10K:

Eryn ran the 5K, but I somehow didn't get any pictures of her (Sorry, Sis!!!!!) She's in the group pics, but I have to get those from Sarah and Mom... I'll post as soon as I can.

Congrats to everyone :)

My parents brought along this medal and put it on me after I finished - SUPER sweet :)

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment