Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Driveway garden

Last year we experimented growing lettuce on our driveway, the only place at our house that actually sees sun. It totally worked, and we ate fresh greens grown right on our driveway!

This year we're going big... trying to grow a whole garden out there. Brad built this sweet potting-bench/platform to make it more manageable (it's a fairly steep slope). He used all found materials, so it was free and looks rustic - just like I wanted.
I got to work cleaning pots and making a mix of potting soil, peat moss and perlite (as suggested on BHG.com).
Then I planted seeds for cool-weather veggies: lettuce and spinach and such.
Hopefully we'll see some sprouts soon. And I'll get more seeds out when the weather warms a bit (whenever that will finally be... I think it's near freezing outside right now!)

I don't know if it will work, but I figure we have nothing to lose. And I'm excited about having fresh veggies right at our house!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment