Thursday, April 7, 2011

Baked mac and cheese

Spotted this yummy-looking Baked Four-Cheese Macaroni online and decided to give it a try. Hmmmm.... I shouldn't have bothered.
Brad thought it was funny to take pictures of me taking pictures :)
It just didn't have much flavor. And for the amount of calories in there from 1+ pounds of cheese, it should taste really amazing or I'm not going to eat it. I did sub feta for the blue cheese since Brad's not a big fan of the moldy varieties, but I don't think that would have helped too much.

It wasn't bad... it just wasn't great. Bummer.

Here's the recipe in case YOU want to try it out. Good luck :)

16 oz macaroni noodles (I used a random assortment of noodles from my cupboard)
3 T butter
3 T flour
4 c milk
16 ounces mixed grated cheese (I used cojack)
6 ounces crumbled blue cheese (I used feta)
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1/4 t cayenne pepper


Preheat oven to 400.

Boil noodles. Drain and rinse with cold water and set aside.

In a heavy pot over medium high heat, melt the butter and add the flour. Whisk together and cook for 30 seconds. Add the 2 cups milk and whisk until smooth. Add another cup of the milk (reserving one cup) and continue to whisk. Cook for 4 minutes while whisking. The mixture will get very thick! (mine never got super thick)

Add 12 ounces of the grated mixed cheese and stir well so that the cheese melts. Add the salt, pepper and cayenne followed by the additional cup of milk and half of the blue cheese crumbles. Stir well.

Once everything is smooth, add the cooked pasta and toss well. Pour into a 9"13" casserole pan and top with the remaining grated cheese.

Bake for 15 minutes. Top with additional blue cheese and bake 10 minutes more, until golden brown and bubbling.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment