Thursday, March 24, 2011

What a difference a minute makes

I've said it lots of times: Running is hard for me. Every run is work; every step a challenge. I've never understood how "they" say you're supposed to be able to converse while you run. There's no way.
I almost always hit the pavement alone, but last time Brad went with me. About halfway through the run to Tualatin Park and back, my husband commented that I was working too hard. My defenses went up: Of course I'm working hard... I told you... this is HARD for me! I'm sorry I'm not a naturally gifted runner like you! Don't criticize me.

Later, after I cooled off, we talked about my pacing. I know I can run fast (for me), so I should always run fast, right? If I don't continually improve my speed, I'm a failure, right?

Not right.

Turns out, I've been pushing too hard. As my runs have gotten longer, I'm been really burning out my legs/lungs/energy. Working too hard.

Brad recently found an online calculator based on Daniels' Running Formula. We plugged in my data and discovered that on long/easy runs, I should be running closer to 10- or 11-minute miles! I should be running 9s only when doing speed work. Well no wonder I've been getting so burned out on my runs.

So today I set out on my long run of the week: run 30 minutes, walk 1 minute, run 30 - for a total of 61 minutes. I vowed that I would watch my Garmin and keep it close to a 10-minute mile.
Look at that! In the pouring rain, I ran 6.25 miles in 1:02 - a new PDR for me (personal distance record). And I NEVER felt like I was going to die. It was literally a fun, easy run. No grimacing at all -- I even smiled a few times :) :)
So I learned a great lesson today!

If you're a runner, check out the calculator Web site and see if you're running the right pace for you. It might make all the difference.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment