Sunday, February 20, 2011

Unintentional taper

I have a bum knee. Many years ago I was running stadiums at THS when my right knee went "pop." It's never been a HUGE problem, but it's never been the same.

Tuesday I was running when I started to feel it. If you've ever had an injury, you know what I mean. It didn't hurt - but it didn't feel right, either. I could "feel" it - and you're not supposed to feel your knees. They are just supposed to be there doing their thing.
It seemed to go away, so I went ahead and did my Wednesday spin class. Near the end, we were climbing really steep when that stupid knee grabbed and I pretty much had to stop. Shoot.

Hoping to ease my runner's knee, I've now been doing some PT exercises Brad learned from past knee problems of his own. And I decided to rest it Thursday and Friday before 5K my race Sunday. I got up Saturday to do a short, easy run to warm up my muscles and test the knee. I bundled up for our below-freezing temps, but as I started down my cul-de-sac, I slipped a little. Then I slipped a little more. BLACK ICE! In the shady spots the pavement was covered in black ice.

OK - if I can't even walk on it, I certainly can't run on it! I carefully walked back up to the house and decided I'd just call it a couple taper days. Hopefully my knee and muscles will be happy with the additional rest and perform for me this morning :)

No comments:

Post a Comment