Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Supermoto/No-TV Tuesday

Several years ago I decided I wanted to learn to ride a motorcycle. I signed up for an MSF rider safety class and got my endorsement. Soon after, I purchased my first motorcycle, a Kawasaki 250 Ninja. I eventually sold this bike because it wasn’t getting ridden enough to justify keeping it around.

About a year and a half ago I started thinking I might want to have a motorcycle again. I decided that buying a scooter would be an inexpensive way to see if I would get enough use out of a two-wheeled vehicle to justify buying another motorcycle.

I bought a nearly new Kymco Agility 125, which I’ve been riding back and forth to work nearly every day that’s dry since I bought it. I love my scooter. It’s been very reliable, practical, economical, and a lot of fun. Even after a stressful day of work my mood is usually improved after riding the scooter home. I’ve managed to ride it enough that the money I save on gas has paid for the insurance and depreciation, so it’s basically been free fun.

As much as I love the scooter, I’ve been wishing for something with a little more capability and performance. After three months of shopping and two spreadsheets to evaluate my options, I found a match! So last night, instead of watching TV, Liz and I spent the evening at a motorcycle dealer in Vancouver purchasing a new 2009 Kawasaki KLX250SF supermoto. For those of you who are uninitiated, a supermoto is basically a dirtbike with street-bike tires. This type of motorcycle was designed for a form of racing popular in Europe called supermotard. In supermoto racing the tracks have paved sections as well as dirt with a few jumps thrown in just for fun. This type of bike is very versatile, with nimble handling and offroad capability.
This is the type of bike Dennis the Menace or Bart Simpson would ride. I must admit I’m looking forward to terrorizing my neighborhood a bit on the new hooligan machine. : )

P.S. - If any of you are interested in experiencing the joys of scootering for yourselves I have a much-loved Kymco Agility 125 for sale.

-Brad

2 comments:

  1. Herve is forbidden from getting a motorcycle... but it would be fun! I just don't want to worry all the time (which I know i would!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah... I'm basically the best wife ever ;)

    ReplyDelete