Thursday, February 17, 2011

PB chocolate chip pretzel cookies

My obsession started last week when I saw Double White Chocolate and Pretzel Peanut Butter Cookies on Picky Palate. I LOVE salty/sweet. Chocolate-covered pretzel are amazing. Peanut butter chocolate chip cookies are amazing. So these would have to be amazing, right? I had to make them.
I'm not a huge fan of white chocolate. In fact, when offered a white chocolate chip cookie, I almost always turn it down. But I figured I'd go for it because the recipe was tried and true. Brad and I went to three different stores after church Sunday and couldn't find the chips! Granted, that included two drug stores, but Trader Joe's also failed us. We didn't want to hit another store, so we concluded that it wasn't meant to be.

Since Picky Palate's recipe included melted chips and whole chips, I decided to just use my standard Peanut Butter Cookie recipe (thank you, trusty Better Homes and Gardens cookbook), stir in the chocolate chips and pretzels and see what came out. Fantastic!
1/2 c butter
1/2 c peanut butter
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c packed brown sugar
1/2 t baking soda
1/2
t baking powder
1 egg
1/2 t vanilla
1 1/4 c flour
chocolate chips
pretzel, broken into small pieces

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. In a large mixing bowl beat butter and peanut butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking soda and baking powder. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in the egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour.

3. Stir in chocolate chips and pretzel pieces until the ratio makes you happy.

4. Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten with your palm. Bake for 7 to 9 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
I put in a lot of chips and pretzels, so the dough was fairly crumbly, and some cookies fell apart because there wasn't enough "glue" to hold the goodies together. But they tasted great - and that's good enough for me. I took them to school and the students and staff gobbled them up - again, good enough for me!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment