Thursday, February 24, 2011

Cooking marathon: 8 meals in one night!

We keep our garage freezer stocked with hot lunches for Brad. When he told me he was almost out, I got to work picking out a bunch of recipes (new and old) and shopping for groceries. Wednesday night, I destroyed our kitchen cooking eight dishes for his lunching pleasure!

Pasta, Red Bean and Parsley Toss from Better Homes and Gardens:
Mexican Mac and Cheese from Better Homes and Gardens. (Brad missed this one in his photographing) I used Gimme Lean "Sausage" instead of real sausage.

Tex Mex Quinoa from Cooking Quinoa:
Mexican-Style Spaghetti from Better Homes and Gardens:
Triple-Decker Tortilla from Better Homes and Gardens:
Santa Fe Casserole from Healthy Tipping Point:
Spicy Black Beans and Rice from Better Homes and Gardens:
Fried Rice from Better Homes and Gardens:
I also threw some grains in my slow cooker for breakfasts this week:
Brad boxed his beauties and squeezed them into the freezer... mostly.
I also bought stuff for a couple other recipes that will have to wait for more freezer space :)

When I'm doing lunches, it's easiest to just do a bunch at once. These shared a lot of ingredients, so that made the shopping and the chopping and the assembly simpler. Plus, I can reuse pots, pans, bowls and utensils.

I enjoyed trying all the new recipes - and they were all yummy! I'd recommend each one :)

7 comments:

  1. I think you might like this...
    http://www.google.com/landing/recipes/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time you do this let me know and I'll come make sure everything tastes ok - we wouldn't want Brad ending up with icky lunches. They all look fabulous - what an investment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this GREAT sentence:

    "We keep our garage freezer stocked with hot lunches for Brad."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah... I found that funny too :) The lunches are hot AFTER he thaws and nukes them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you follow the ideas for cooking ceral in the slow cooker after the Oregonian Food Day? I thought that looked good.
    Marcile

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marcile - yeah, The O was my slow-cooker inspiration! I used their 4:1 suggestion and cooked my grains all night on low. They turned out wonderful - and I've been having some every morning since :)

    Try it! YUM :)
    -Liz

    ReplyDelete