Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Muffin Wednesday: Banana Oatmeal

Muffin Wednesday has returned!!!! (Quick recap: I received this book last year for Christmas. Believing it to be a challenge, I started baking a new recipe each Wednesday for my students.)
Two near-dead bananas sitting on my counter prompted today's Banana Oatmeal Muffin experiment.
It's in the "microwave muffin" section, but I don't have a microwave-safe pan. So I crossed my fingers and put them in the oven. And they turned out pretty good. But they didn't rise. Not sure if the microwave would have helped that. Hmm. Here's the recipe as prepared in (CE)2:

Preheat oven to 375. Line muffin tin with paper cups.

1/4 c butter, softened in microwave
3/4 c packed brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 c buttermilk (I used milk + vinegar)
1 c oats
1 c flour
1 T baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 t ground allspice
2 medium bananas, mashed

1. Cream butter and brown sugar. Add egg and buttermilk.

2. Add oats, flour, baking powder, salt and allspice. (We were bad and didn't mix wet/dry separately. Maybe that made them flat??) Mix well. Stir in bananas.

3. Spoon batter into muffin tins. Bake 26 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Last year, my start time was much later, so I baked at home. Today, I gathered all my ingredients and tins, hopped on my bike, and pedaled to work. Then Mariah, Andy, Cassie, Jon and Alix helped me whip these up right in our (CE)2 kitchen. I was on KP duty while they went back to their school work.

After letting them cool a bit (everyone was too anxious to wait very long!), we dug in. The muffins were very moist and full of banana flavor. The allspice was nice - not too strong. A better alternative to cinnamon, I think. My only complaint was the lack of rising. Oh well. We all enjoyed the Wednesday-morning treat!

:)

5 comments:

  1. Liz! I miss Muffin Wednesday :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you too! I'll try to visit in the near future before leaving for The Philippines :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joanne - you should come this Sunday!! The weather should be good. 5 p.m.!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Count me in! What's the address again?

    ReplyDelete