Friday, August 27, 2010

Zucchini Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

I spotted this recipe on Cakespy and had to give it a try - mainly because I have more zucchini than I know what to do with and because I wanted to eat a bunch of that chocolate cream cheese frosting!!

Cake:
  • 3 c flour
  • 2 c sugar
  • 1 t salt
  • 1 t baking soda
  • 1/4 t baking powder
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 c vegetable oil
  • 2 t vanilla
  • 1 t ground cinnamon (I used less)
  • 1 t grated lemon peel
  • 2 c shredded zucchini
  • 1/2 c chopped walnuts (I had pecans)
Frosting:
  • 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
  • 2 T milk or cream
  • 2 to 3 c powdered sugar
  • 2 squares unsweetened Baker's chocolate, melted (I just realized that I used semi-sweet Baker's chocolate. Oops!)

  1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease either two 9-inch cake pans or line two muffin tins with cupcake cups. (I had out the cake pans and decided I was too tired to grease them. So I pulled out the muffin tins and paper cups. Lazy!)

  2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and baking powder.

  3. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, oil, vanilla, cinnamon, zucchini and lemon peel.

  4. Stir the wet mixture into the dry ingredients - just until moistened. Gently stir in the nuts.

  5. Transfer the batter to your prepared pans. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes for cakes, 30 to 45 minutes for cupcakes. (I put my cupcakes in for 25 minutes and they were plenty done.)

  6. While the cakes cool, whip the cream cheese until it is soft and fluffy. Add the milk or cream and then the powdered sugar, bit by bit, until it reaches your desired consistency. Add in the melted chocolate last, and mix until it is fully incorporated.

  7. Frost and enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
These were yummy! I wish I had set the timer for 20 minutes and checked then so they would have been just a bit less done. I also should have left out the cinnamon entirely, but that's just my crazy taste buds.

I took the cupcakes to work and handed them out to hungry-looking coworkers. Everyone seemed pleased. Then I ate too much frosting. YUM!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment