Saturday, July 17, 2010

On to Pittsburgh

It was time to leave Ohio behind and head to Pittsburgh for an afternoon game vs Philly. I was the trip's designated driver, not because I have a family of heavy drinkers, but because I have the group-approved driving skills and lack of bridge phobias required for the job. By the time we reached Pittsburgh, I was very tired and needed a nap more than I needed to see a baseball game. So Brad and I dropped Mom, Dad and Eryn at PNC Park and headed to the hotel for a nap, workout and shower.

All rested, we drove back downtown and picked up the fam, who had been baking in the afternoon heat (A heatwave was hitting the region with the hottest temps in 10 years. Oh, goodie!). We were ready to explore the town and take lots of pictures of the old city, but the fam needed to be in a climate-controlled setting. So we set out to find dinner. We chose a chain but one foreign to us Northwesterners: Bob Evans.
More noodles and mashed potatoes for Brad:
No real vegetarian options for me. I asked if they had a veggie burger and the waitress looked at me like I was speaking French. Never mind. How about a chef salad with no meat:
Next up on our 4th of July: an ice cream stand. During my first visit to the Midwest, the whole extended family went out for ice cream at a roadside stand. This was a cultural thing I had to share with my parents and sister! We found one in the GPS, and I started driving. We first stumbled on a car show - what a fun holiday activity. We stopped to check out the sweet rides:
After touring the countryside, we finally found Remember When, apparently the place to be!
I was going to order a scoop of something but decided to go with the local delicacy: dipped soft serve. They may not have been Pittsburgh's largest, but they were huge! Mine is the kiddie size!
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment