Thursday, March 18, 2010

Wilson River Trail (3/12/10)

I've always shied away from the annual NFC women's retreat at Twin Rocks Friends Camp in Rockaway. It's not that I was anti-social or didn't want to get away to the beach. I wasn't thrilled by the thought of hanging out with a bunch of "moms" and learning about how to raise my family (I do fine raising my cat, thank you!). But this year, Kendra convinced me that it wasn't all about kids and talked me into joining her.

Because of a shifted work schedule, we were able to leave early Friday and hike on the way to the coast. We chose a section of the Wilson River Trail from Jones Creek to the Footbridge Trailhead, about 7 miles round trip.

It was pouring, hailing and snowing as we drove down Highway 6. But we're tough... and we vowed to go ahead with our plan. We arrived at an empty parking lot (no one else wants to hike in the snow?!?!), suited up in rain gear and hit the trail. We chatted as we made our way past the Tillamook Forest Center, along the Wilson River to Wilson Falls:
Trying not to fall down the hill as I crossed the waterfall:
Because that's Kendra's maiden name, I decided it was her falls :)
Shortly after Wilson Falls, the flat-until-now trail started uphill as we went up and over a drainage. No problem until Kendra decided to turn the trail into a muddy Slip 'n Slide ;) (Don't worry - only her ego was injured)

We reached Footbridge Trailhead and took a picture of the drowned rats on the bridge over the Wilson River. I'm so glad the rain gave me alien eyes again :)
It was a fun hike along the river, which is running high and swift right now. Much different than the last time I was there during the hottest week in July. I would definitely recommend this one - summer or winter.

Then it was on to Subway in Tillamook and Twin Rocks for hot showers and our first group session at 7:30 p.m. The weekend was nice. There was a lot of breastfeeding discussion, but overall, not too much "mom" talk. I met some great women and had lots of laughs. Kendra and I stayed up WAY too late talking one night, but it was totally worth it! I'm glad I went.

One thing I took away from it... "If you can poop on a bed you can poop on a mountain." Amen.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment