Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Muffin Wednesday: Coffee Cake

Nothing stops Muffin Wednesday. My car's in the shop, but I can get muffins to work on my bicycle, right?! And as I was changing in the bathroom at work, I heard Gerise exclaim with delight, "I forgot it's Muffin Wednesday!" Made me smile :)

This week's experiment is Coffee Cake Muffins. As with most recipes I choose, these are quick and simple with standard ingredients. I was disappointed that the crumb topping sorta falls off the baked muffins. Perhaps next time I'll press down a bit instead of just sprinkling it on top.

Andy says they are the best ones yet... WOOHOO!

Preheat oven to 375
12-cup muffin tin, greased or paper lined

Topping:
1/3 c sugar
1 1/2 t cinnamon
1 T margarine, melted (I used butter)

Muffins:
3 T softened butter
3/4 c sugar
1 egg
2 c flour
3 t baking powder
pinch salt
3/4 c milk
1 c raisins (I don't like raisins, so I subbed dried cranberries. I also cut it to 1/2 c - just because... I don't really know why)

1. In a bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon and margarine; mix well. Set aside.

2. In another bowl, beat butter. Add sugar and egg; beat well.

3. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk; blend well. Fold in raisins (or cranberries).

4. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin, dividing evenly. Sprinkle with topping (I'd suggest patting down a bit). Bake for 20 minutes.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment