Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Muffin Wednesday: Apple Crunch

I walked into (CE)2 this morning to an exuberant "It's Muffin Wednesday!!" from Gerise and Stacie... as they practically ran toward my dish of Apple Crunch Muffins. Before I could set down the rest of my things, they'd already dug into this morning's offering.

The muffins got great reviews from the girls and from Andy. Gerise said it was her favorite so far. YAY! Andy liked the sugary, nutty topping. Stacie said they were very moist. So I guess this one's a keeper, too. And, like I've said a bazillion times before, it was quick and simple to throw together. (I've been mixing the dry ingredients Tuesday night so I have fewer steps in the morning. It makes for a more-fun and less-hectic start to my Wednesday.)

Preheat oven to 375
12-cup muffin tin, greased or paper lined

1 1/2 c flour
1/3 c sugar
2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 c dry non-fat milk
1 t cinnamon
1/4 c softened shortening (I used butter)
1 egg
1/2 c water
1 c finely chopped, peeled apple

Topping:
1/3 c packed brown sugar
1/3 c finely chopped nuts (I had walnuts)

1. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, milk and 1/2 t cinnamon; mix well. Add shortening, egg, water and apples (I mixed these separately and added this mixture all at once). Mix quickly, just until blended. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin, filling two-thirds full.

2. Combine remaining cinnamon, brown sugar and nuts. Sprinkle over muffins. (I then patted down the topping a bit with the back of the spoon). Bake for 20-25 minutes.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment