Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Birthday Bonus: Marshmallow Crunch Brownie Bars

Because it's Sue's birthday, I had to make an extra-special treat (Since I would have made Wednesday muffins anyway). Thanks to Lindsey, I recently found this amazing-looking treat on eat me, delicious. I had to give it a try... for Sue... and for the students.
The recipe included the brownie base. But since I already have a tried-and-true, top-secret brownie recipe that I love, I used that instead. Then I layered on the rest like it said:

Topping Ingredients:
1 package (10 1/2 ounces) mini marshmallows
1 1/2 c semisweet chocolate chips
1 c smooth peanut butter (I accidentally came home with chunky... didn't seem to matter)
1 T unsalted butter (I only had salted)
1 1/2 c Rice Krispies (I think I added more... closer to 2 c)

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9×13-inch baking pan.

Make brownie batter. (check out the original recipe if you want that info) Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and even with a spatula. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the corner of the pan comes out with moist crumbs.

Remove the brownies from the oven and immediately sprinkle with the marshmallows. Return the pan to the oven for 3 more minutes.

While the brownies are baking, place the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter in a medium saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until melted. Remove from heat, add the cereal and mix well. Allow this to cool for 3 minutes or so.

Spread the mixture evenly over the marshmallow layer. Chill in refrigerator before cutting. Makes 12 3×3-inch bars.

******
This is SO rich that I cut into bite-sized pieces. Without milk to wash it down, 3 x 3 could kill you with chocolate overload!

I also had trouble with the chocolate topping layer. Because of the thickness, it sorta ended up in a big pile in the middle instead of nicely spread out over the entire pan. And because everything underneath was gooey (melted marshmallows and hot brownies), spreading it afterward was nearly impossible. I did my best, but it ended up swirled and uneven. But really, that's just presentation... the finished product was YUMMMMMMY! Next time, I'd be careful to pour it out more evenly over the pan.

Compliments from the students warmed my heart. This was easy and very good. VERY rich. Make sure you have milk at home before attempting.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment