Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Pat Robertson doesn't speak for me

I am a Christian. I believe that Jesus is the Son of God. Though I'm far from perfect, I strive daily to live as an ambassador for Christ, showing love and compassion for all his children.

Pat Robertson has appointed himself as a spokesperson for Christians (and God), and through his television show, books and other outlets, he often spreads hateful, hurtful and untrue messages about God. Many times we hear from Robertson after natural disasters such as yesterday's earthquake in Haiti, in which he blames the people for bringing God's punishment on themselves. (Click HERE to to hear Robertson's comments. Click HERE to read Robertson's backpedaling PR spin.)

I want to say publicly that Robertson does not speak for me or my family or the other people in my life who are also followers of Christ. I am truly embarrassed that he is the example on which so many base their opinion of Christians.

If you're looking for a way to help the people of Haiti, consider donating to Medical Teams International, a Portland-based humanitarian organization that is sending supplies, teams of doctors and money to the devastated country. MTI's mission statement:
To demonstrate the love of Christ to people affected by disaster, conflict and poverty around the world.

:)

2 comments: