Monday, July 6, 2009

Luscious Apricot Squares

My summer organization spree turned up a Martha Stewart recipe that I printed more than 9 years ago and never tried. I decided to give it a try for this week's Garden Party. My version didn't set all the way in the middle, so it was a bit gooey. Still, it tasted great! I had to tell everyone to wait to take the last piece so I could snap a quick picture :)

2/3 cup dried apricots
1 1/3 cups flour, divided

1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened (I melted mine because I never have the patience)

1/4 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar (I came up a little short and had to sub some white sugar)
2 eggs

1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt confectioner's sugar (I never got around to sprinkling mine)

Place apricots in a small saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce and simmer until plumped - about 15 minutes. Drain and chop finely.

Preheat oven to 350. Grease 8x8 inch pan.


Into large bowl, measure 1 cup flour, butter or margarine and sugar. With mixer at medium speed, beat ingredients until well mixed and crumbly. Pat evenly into pan. Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Meanwhile, into same bowl, measure 1/3 cup flour, apricots, brown sugar and remaining ingredients except confectioner's sugar. Beat at medium speed until well mixed, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula. Pour over baked layer and return to oven. Bake 25 minutes longer until golden.

Cool in pan. Cut into squares. Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar.


Easy, quick, ingredients on hand. Highly recommended.

Yum! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment