Friday, October 17, 2008

Mickey Mouse Chimichangas

There's a little Mission tortilla factory at Disney's California Adventure park. It's one of our favorite attractions. Not only do you get to learn all about how tortillas changed the world and see them being made, you get to taste one hot, right off the line! It's truly like a little piece of heaven.

They also have a demo kitchen with recipes to take home and try. The photo looked yummy, so we picked up the "Chicken Chimichangas" card. I crossed my fingers and prepared it for our weekly "The Office" party with friends. YUM! I think we have a winner.

Chicken Chimichangas (from Mission but modified by me... you know I can't just follow a recipe)

Ingredients:
Soft taco size flour tortillas (I think I used 12)
Jarred salsa (I had Safeway brand salsa verde, medium)
Cooked chicken, chopped (I used 3 large breasts)
Onion, chopped (I used about half of a larger onion)
cumin (I used about 1.5 t)
oregano (I used about 1 t)
salt (a little less than 1 t)
cheddar cheese, shredded (I used a lot)

Instructions:
I combined the chicken, onion, cumin, oregano, salt and about half the jar of salsa in a pot. It said to cook over medium-low heat, stirring often for 25 minutes or until most of the liquid evaporated. I was in a hurry, so I cranked it to medium and didn't wait until it was evaporated..

Spoon 1/3 c of the chicken mixture into the center of a tortilla and top with about 2 T of cheese. Fold in the two sides and then fold the top and bottom, making a rectangle. Mine didn't look very uniform. Secure with toothpicks and place, folded side down, on a greased baking sheet. Repeat until the chicken stuff is gone. Coat chimichangas with vegetable cooking spray.

**I also made for me a couple filled with just black beans, diced onions and cheese.

It said to bake at 425 for 8 minutes, turn and bake 5 more minutes. I rotated the baking sheet part way through and just watched for them to crisp. Then I flipped them and toasted the other side.

We had lots of topping options: salsa, lettuce, sour cream, cilantro, guacamole, tomatoes.

YUM!
I would definitely make this again and recommend it. It was quick, easy and yummy.
-Liz :)

No comments:

Post a Comment