Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Gifts for my garden

When Ma asked if Eryn and I wanted to take a leaf-casting class with her, we jumped at the chance! Saturday, we all drove to Roberta's house in Beaverton to learn the craft. The teacher first explained and demonstrated and then turned us loose in her garden to pick a leaf to cast in concrete. We got to work, trying to replicate her technique and remember all the dos and don'ts. There was lots of concrete left over, so she told us to pick out more leaves. In all, I made three castings.
We went home with a list of things to do before they are complete. I'm not expecting greatness but I hope they at least resemble leaves and will look nice tucked around my plants. On day two, I turned over my castings and, guess what... they look like leaves!!! They aren't perfect, but I'm really pleased.

They are now sitting in plastic bags. In a couple days I will take them out, but it will be three more weeks before they are cured and ready to go in the garden. I can't wait :)

-Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment