Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Testing, testing

I took a trip to an allergist today to get tested for food sensitivities. For as long as I can remember, eating (one of my favorite hobbies!) has made my tummy less than happy. On the advice of a friend, I finally took the plunge. A skin test showed almost nothing... a possible sensitivity to filberts (which I don't like anyway), peaches, raspberries and wheat.

The doctor suggested that I try eliminating "staples" from my diet and watching for any reaction. That means avoiding a particular food for three days, followed by binging to see if anything negative follows. Repeat a couple times to validate the results. Since the wheat bump on my arm was slightly bigger than the others (I couldn't see a difference), he said that's where I should start. He also said that's the worst one. As a carb craver, I agree.

So it's no wheat for me for the next couple days. I hope that's not it, though it would be nice to know what causes my upset. Then I guess the choice is mine.

-Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment