Friday, May 16, 2008

Celebration/Adventure

Since we love to be outside, it only made sense to celebrate our decade of marriage with a nature adventure. Unfortunately, our idea of a perfect day is 55 and cloudy, maybe with some drizzle. But we braved the near-100-degree weather for a first-time visit to L.L. Stub Stewart State Park near Vernonia, Ore. We read about the amazing trail system and decided to bring the bikes, expecting a casual exploration of Oregon's newest state park (we were picturing a Fort Stevens-like pedal). It never dawned on us that this park is in the Coast Range (mountains!). We parked at the Hilltop Day-Use Area (first clue!) and started making our way along the trails.

No surprise to those who know him, Brad is a natural on the mountain bike. I am not - plus, I haven't been off road in a couple years. The trail conditions were a bit beyond my current ability and comfort level, and I kept saying, "I'm gonna fall on my head." Well, a couple hours later, that's exactly what I did! My front tire rolled into a pothole and stopped. Physics took over, and I flew over the handle bars. My knees are sorta scraped, and I have a nice shiner on one. And the skin on my left elbow is a bit of a mess. Luckily, I think I will survive.

Always an adventure :)

No comments:

Post a Comment