Friday, March 14, 2008

Starbucked

I just finished a fascinating book about a fascinating subject: Starbucks. I've long been enthralled with the cultural obsession with Starbucks. Those white-and-green cups have changed our society, and I wanted to know how.

Mind you, I'm not a coffee drinker. I don't like the stuff, I don't want the dependence on caffeine and I don't want to spend the money. But I worked downtown Portland for nine years with a Starbucks just a block away in two different directions. Most of my coworkers went there daily - many two or three times a day! I occasionally tagged along to be social and found myself in a huge line with all kinds of people craving their Starbucks. Honestly, I don't even know how to order a drink. If I ever went to pick something up for someone, I had to write it down just as they said it so I could get the lingo right. If I ever got myself a hot chocolate, I'd fumble through the order (probably doing it all wrong) and then be embarrassed because I wasn't part of the Starbucks culture (by the way, I don't like their hot chocolate - too bitter!). And when I walked around the corner to my building, I was torn between feeling proud and trendy with my white-and-green paper cup and feeling dirty and trendy with my wasteful "treat".

I digress.... I just got around to reading "Starbucked: A Double Tall Tale of Caffeine, Commerce, and Culture", written by Portlander Taylor Clark. The incredibly quick read covered a multitude of subjects, including the company's beginning, the history of coffee, the truth about Fair Trade coffee and the international market. It also had some Portland references - always a fun bonus! I could not put it down.

I found myself loving Starbucks and then hating Starbucks, admiring Starbucks and loathing Starbucks. Overall, I'm still fascinated with the phenomenon. I have to admit that the people in charge are geniuses. But so were the inventors of the atom bomb. Hmmmm.

If you've ever had a Starbucks drink, passed a Starbucks shop, seen a Starbucks cup in someone's hand, read this book (I'll loan you my copy if you want!). I'd love to hear your thoughts.

-Liz :)

2 comments:

  1. Me! Me! I'll take your book:) In fact, you could bring it to my house and we could talk about it over, um, tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're on! I'll loan you my book and we can discuss (just like our old book-club days).

    You make the tea and I'll bring the snacks :)

    ReplyDelete