Monday, March 10, 2008

Just like riding a bike? Not so much

Brad and I spent a beautiful Sunday on Mount Hood. It was his last ski race of the year, so I tagged along to get in a few turns of my own.

I knew I'd be rusty because I hadn't down-hill skied since last spring. We stepped into our bindings and headed up the lift for some warm-up runs. The sky was covered in high clouds, but we could still see the top of the mountain - and Jefferson and several other peaks to the south! The shade made the snow icy, and when you combine that with my lack of recent experience, I was a mess. Serious, I was skiing like a beginner and getting really frustrated. (It didn't help when some guy clobbered me in the lift line and knocked me to the ground!)

FINALLY, the sun came out and softened the snow just about the time my body was remembering what it was doing. We found some great sunny steeps covered in moguls and had a great time. I even think that my back-to-basics warmup helped me improve my balance and off-groomers skiing. I also learned that I need to suck it up and buy some lift tickets next year so I don't completely forget how to do this sport that I worked so hard to get good at in the first place.

-Liz :)

PS - After the sky cleared, this was the view all day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment