Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Racers Ready! 3...2...1

When my coworker Bruce sent out an invitation to join the FLIR ski racing team it didn't take much arm-twisting to convince me to give it a shot. The added incentive of free food and discounted lift tickets proved too tempting to resist.

Bruce is the race director for
PACRATS, a local recreational racing league made up of teams representing various local ski clubs. There are five dual slalom style races over the course of the season. Participants are grouped into classes from beginning to elite according to a handicap system based on past performance.

I haven't had much experience racing. I'd run gates maybe ten times prior to this season just for fun, so I wasn’t really sure what to expect. With two races out of the way now I'm starting to get into it. I still have no idea what I'm doing, but it's fun to try and go fast. So far, my team of ten has earned 61 points - 18 are mine! I'm chalking it up to beginner's luck.

Me and a few of my teammates from team "Rut-Riders"
-Brad

No comments:

Post a Comment