Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Acres and acres of Christmas trees!!!!!

One of my favorite moments of the holiday season is seeing my first truck full of Christmas trees headed down the freeway. It always makes me smile to think that those little bundles of green will make someone's holiday complete - someone very far away, even overseas.

Yesterday, Brad and I made our first-ever visit to Silver Falls State Park south of Silverton. We had a great stormy hike and saw a bunch of gorgeous waterfalls. On the drive in and out, we also saw more Christmas trees than I've ever seen in my life. I've always heard that Oregon is the biggest exporter of Christmas trees in the world... and now I believe it. We passed farm after farm. And these weren't the little U-cut lots I'm used to in the Newberg area. These were huge commercial farms ready to supply the world. Some were harvesting and had bundled trees ready to go. We even saw a truck leaving with a full load. Oh, and have you ever wondered where the farms get their little seedlings that eventually grow into those awesome trees? Well, we saw that, too - a Christmas tree nursery!

In just a couple weeks, we're going to the hills of Newberg to get our own. I can't wait!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment